From kayaking, to bush-craft, to survival skills, you can try your hand at activities that you never knew were available in the local area.
Hosted by the Forest Centre, local companies Canoe Trail and Woodland Ways showcase what they do – if you want to try canoeing on Stewartby Lake, or have a go at orienteering in the Country Park, this is the place! Ask questions of trained experts, and find out if you have what it takes to be the next Ray Mears or Bear Grylls!
WHAT’S HAPPENING ON THE DAY:
12pm – 2pm – Foraging Guided Walk – a gentle 2 hour stroll to learn more about not only the edible stuff, but the medicinal and other purposes of the flora and fauna of the Park and local area. You may be surprised what’s out there! Guided by one of the survival experts from the Woodland Ways Team. Free, no booking required.
As part of the Bedfordshire Walking Festival 2015.
12pm – Richard Harpham ‘All Adventures Great and Small’
Having travelled over 7600 miles on foot, by bike, canoe and kayak, Richard knows his stuff. From kayaking the Channel, to the Yukon River; to cycling the Sahara – hear about his inspiring and motivational adventures.
12.30pm – Jason Ingamells ‘Bushcraft in the UK’
Being totally at home in the wilderness has taken Jason everywhere from the jungles of Borneo, to the Sahara Desert, to tracking bears in Croatia, all the while using bushcraft skills honed in the woodlands of the UK. Learn just how useful and transferable bushcraft skills can be.
If those talks inspire you, why not try out some adventures of your own at the Millennium Country Park…
RUNNING ALL AFTERNOON…
- Paddle Board Machine Challenge (prizes for the best)
- Bushtucker Challenge (you’ve seen I’m a Celeb, you know how it works)
- Rubbing Sticks to Make Fire Workshop
- Wood Carving Workshop
- Shelter Building Workshop
- Willow Crafts Workshop (workshops are free, but a donation is appreciated)
- Giant Paddleboard Safari (every half hour, £TBC– bring a change of clothes, just in case – suitable for ages 4 )
- Guided Canoe Tours in Stewartby Lake (every half hour, £TBC – bring a change of clothes, just in case -suitable for ages 4 )
WIN Family Adventure Day
World of Bushcraft shop – selling all the kit you need for the wilderness and woodlands.
Pond Dipping sessions (Times TBC)